Sunday, January 9, 2011

Skiing at Kelly Canyon

For New Years Eve this year we headed up to Idaho to spend a few days with my family. My parents had gone to Oregon to visit Jenn and her family for Christmas...so we needed our grandpa and grandma fix. We drove up on Thursday afternoon. That evening we hooked up my parents new Wii that the kids got them for Christmas. Garrett was in heaven playing in Mario. Friday morning we got up and started to get ready to go skiing. It was FREEZING in Idaho. Anyone who knows Gaby knows that she goes out for ten seconds and if frozen; this is due to the fact that there is no fat on her at all. So, we decided that just a half day of skiing would be best for her. We headed up to Kelly Canyon. Garrett and Gaby loved renting skis and telling everyone all about them. Garrett got to ski last year for the first time, but this was Gaby's first time. I personally would have rather put the kids in lessons but everyone was sure that we could teach them. Gaby and I got to work together. I HATE HATE HATE the rope tow. Hanging onto a steel rope and a five year old and controlling both sets of ski was a definant strain on my legs. Gaby did awesome. Gaby made it all day without falling....that is until Collin took her on one final run.

Garrett tore it up. He struggled on the bunny hill, but who doesn't. It's not steep enough to really get any speed and learn anything. So, Collin and I took Garrett up the ski lift. Garrett got on all by himself and didn't fall when he got off. He made it a little way and then Grandpa and Grandma came and joined us. Through all of this you need to know it was 5 degrees. Garrett was getting cold and frustrated. Needless to say my dad made Collin and I leave. Garrett made it down skiers lane with Grandpa and Grandma. We found Gaby hanging out in the lodge with a very pregnant Lerin. We decided Lerin needed to get out of the house and could come hang out at the ski hill with us. Lerin played out designanted camera person and lodge babysitter.

I loved skiing with my parents. Even thought it was freezing we had a blast and can't wait to go up again. While in Idaho I finally found my bindings for my new skis: skis that I have owned for 7 years and never skied on. Next time I am using my own equipment. Our family our now all skiiers!!!










1 comment:

slopsemafamily said...

oh, how i miss kelly canyon and all those trips with you, steph and the guys from apt. 6. great memories. we plan on taking our crew skiing next christmas.