Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Garrett wants to move out

I have been waiting for the day when one of my kids would inform me that they were moving out. I did think it would take a little longer, but Garrett informed me this morning that he was moving out and moving in with our friends across the way. Gaby was sobbing: she had red cheeks, a runny nose, and streaks down her face. I pulled Garrett in my room and we began the discussion of why he was moving out. Garrett informed me that I was mean. I had made the mistake of asking my kids to pick up there things. Garrett had spread legos throughout the house and Gaby had spread her art supplies and papers. I wasn't sure how to answer this whether to be angry or inform him that he wasn't allowed. I took a different approach with him. I explained that he needed to think about a few things before he made his decision to move.

1: He would never see his grandparents again. No more Grandpa Craig, Grandma Paula, Grandpa Brutch, or Grandma Teresa. No more Grandpa Bruce and the trains.
2. No more cousins. No time with Chandler, Evan, Elise, Keegan, etc.
3. He would no longer have Jube as his horse.
4. No more time in Grandpa Craigs boat
5. No legos, clothes, bike
6. No more skiing
7. No playtime with Gaby. If he moved she would no longer be his sister.

There were several others, but I won't bore you with all of them. Garrett then went in his room and thought about what I had said. Garrett thought over everything for over a 1/2 hour. When he came in my room he explained that he had decided against moving. Gaby and I hugged him and told him how happy we were that he decided not to move. I then told him it was a good thing because who would protect me when Daddy wasn't here. I hope this doesn't happen again. I don't like it at all. I do love my love my little boy.

5 comments:

K said...

What a nice mom. When Kaleb tried this at about the same age, I asked him if he would like me to help him pack his bag. It stunned him so much, we were then able to talk through what was bothering him. Good to have another trick up my sleeve. Thanks for sharing!

'T' said...

Good job mommy.

TheTerry's said...

Great idea to deal with it like you did. I think I would have just cried, so way to keep it together :)

beth said...

How sad! That was genius to get him to decide for himself that he wanted to stay.

Anonymous said...

come to mine buddy I love tight little boys