Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Card/Christmas Letter


Well, the end of the year has come. I felt like it wasn't terribly busy that is until the end of August came. I am also having issues getting my Christmas Cards out so here it is. My cousin Steph designed it for me. Thanks again Steph.

Gabrielle is a girly girly and a handful. Gaby had a hard time from January through April while Garrett finished school. Her days were filled with spending time with Mom. Gaby is a big shopper and loves shoes...she and Elise are definately related to one another. Later this summer Gaby received her acceptance to BYU Preschool and Mr. Brad's class; Mr. Brad was Garrett's teacher last year. Gaby was very excited and couldn't wait for school to start. Gaby is now loving school and doesn't like having a long Christmas break. I can't wait till she goes back to school. Gaby has been very helpful in being a nurse for Garrett. She also always wants to help me in the kitchen.

Garrett has finished preschool at BYU and started Kindergarten at Vineyard Elementary. Mrs. Heapes is an amazing teacher and Garrett adores her. Garrett is reading a lot lately, but I love it when he still wants me to read to him instead. Garrett is finishing The Lightning Thief....it only took him six months. This is on top of his other homework. He has his daddy's brains. Garrett is one of the favorites at the playground. He loves everyone and wants to play with anyone who comes down...including the dogs and parents. Garrett has gone through a lot this year, but he is a trooper. Garrett had to have dental surgery twice this year and then he just had is tonsils and adnoids removed. The tonsils were a big surprise, but after the surgery his Dr informed us that his adnoids were larger than his tonsils and filling his nasal cavity. I now understand why this child couldn't breath. I am love this kid. He is always telling us he loves us and gives tons of hugs.

I have no idea where to begin with Collin and his schooling. Collin finished his coursework in the Spring. He has also helped two different professors with research and the extra work has paid off. Dr. Stephenson published the paper that Collin helped do the research for. Collin has also participated at a conference at Snowbird that UofU put on. He then went on to attend the annual SFN conference in San Diego in November. Collin recently took his Orals and passed. He is now preparing the next paper for publication with Dr. Edwards; his mentor. Collin is also teaching at UVU as an adjunct faculty. He works so hard and runs like crazy to get everything done.

On to our family adventures this year. Our year was pretty quiet. We went to Las Vegas to visit the Smith family several times and had a blast with them in April, June, and again in November. We made a few trips to Idaho to see family. There was the Karlson family reunion at Cherry Hills. In August we celebrated a few big things. Over one weekend we had a bridal shower for Cortney; Pat's bride to be. Patrick took his endownments out. This was a big day for all of us. What an amazing experience to be with Patrick in the temple and to see all of my family there together. Mom had a big birthday as well. We played in the yard, and on the boat. Our family has such a fun time on the boat. Chandler, Evan, and Garrett spend a great deal of time out on the tube, but they all tried wake-boarding this year. Chan and Evan did awesome. Garrett is ready to start, but we never have a small enough board so his uncles ride with him. Elise and Gaby just go along for the ride. The girls did ride with me one time. In September we headed to Oregon for Labor Day to see Evan be baptized. The kids were amazing in the car. The week after we got home Nick and Kelsey welcomed their first baby Makoy. Three weeks after Oregon we headed to Boise to see Patrick and Cortney be married. Finally after three years of dating they figured it out. Halloween came and went. Garrett was Iron Man and Gaby was a Pink Barbie Cheerleader. THe first week of November we headed to Idaho for Makoy's blessing. The week before Thanksgiving we took our family on a trip to California. We have been preparing and saving for this trip for over a year. Collin had his conference in Cali so we joined him. We took the kids to the beach, Sea World, and Disneyland. What a blast!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Christmas has come quickly. We are excited for the year to end, but also for the year to come.

As far as me my life revolves around my family. I help in Garretts class a few times a month. I help with Gaby's class once a month. I try to keep stress away from Collin so that he can focus on his research.

I am grateful for my family and all that they do. I am grateful for my testimony and the blessings that it brings to my life. I am grateful for my Savior and the blessings that have come because of his sacrifice.

2 comments:

'T' said...

Merry Christmas Merrill's! We sure love you guys. We also enjoyed going to sing for your Grandma and Grandpa Merrill this morning Collin (the ward choir). Michelle was there and sang for us also. What a beautiful way to start Christmas week. xxx Tiniel

Stephanie said...

Merry Christmas, Merrill Family! It looks and sounds like you guys had a great year! You have a beatiful family and it's been fun reading about your adventures. I think we are living pretty close to you now, so if you are ever headed to SLC, we are about 10 minutes from I-15 near Saratoga Springs. It would be fun to see you again! Take care!
Love, Stephanie